Water Damage Prevention
One of the worst problems that homeowners encounter is water damage. The causes range from weather related issues to aged or faulty plumbing systems. Severe storms causing backups or flooding, cold temperatures resulting in pipes freezing and bursting, washer or dishwasher problems, sump pump failures and clogged drains are all types of water damage that can occur. Water damage can cause a lot of damage to homes and property which will cost a significant amount of money to repair. The best thing to avoid spending a lot of money on repairs is to prevent water damage from happening.
There are three key ways of preventing water damage that every home owner should know and apply.
- Watch for water leaks and address them promptly; inspect your roof occasionally and repair any damaged, loose and missing shingles. You should also check for stains on ceilings, toilets that shake and dark spots below pipes.
- Ensure all drains are clear and working properly. Make sure that your gutters and downspouts are clear and make sure that your yard is sloped some distance away from the foundation.
- Check appliances (washer, dishwasher, ice maker) frequently and inspect the supply and drain lines to be sure that they’re in good condition. Check to ensure that your water heaters and sump pump are in good condition.
Other steps you can take to prevent water damage include:
- Keeping track of your water bill.
- Disconnecting hoses when not in use.
- Installing water detection devices.
- Closing your water main whenever you are going away for an extended period.
- Taking care of your vegetation and trees.
- Avoid landscaping too close to the utility pipes.
If you have done all the above but are still facing water damage problems, it is time to seek professional help. SERVPRO of Dearborn Heights North/East Garden City is prepared to assist you with any water damage issues. Contact us at (313) 228-5134. SERVPRO…working to make it “Like it never even happened.”