Spring Cleaning Tips and Suggestions
Spring is upon us…trees are beginning to bud, tulips and daffodils are popping up through the ground, temperatures are getting warmer and the days are getting longer which means it’s time for spring cleaning. Some people find this task overwhelming so following are some tips and suggestions to help you get started:
- Shed some light on the subject by cleaning your windows. Wipe down all walls and baseboards.
- Go through your clothes. Rotate your cold weather gear out and replace it with your warmer weather wardrobe. Review your winter weather items to assure it’s still in good condition and/or still fits. If you didn’t wear it, consider donating it to the less fortunate.
- Trade in your flannel sheets for linen ones and consider putting away the extra blankets after washing them first. Don’t forget to flip you mattress.
- Go through your cupboards, refrigerator and freezer and look for old items and food that is past the expiration date. Get rid of it. Don’t forget to wipe down the shelves in the cupboard and refrigerator. Defrost the freezer.
- Sweep and mop the floors and wipe down the kitchen countertops.
- Wipe down the kitchen cabinets of all drips and spills. Use a good quality cleanser or wood oil soap to get them looking spiffy again.
- The stovetop is an area that needs particular attention. Get scrubbing.
- Clear off all flat surfaces and wipe off all dust, dirt and debris. Vacuum lampshades.
- Vacuum all your carpets and consider getting them professionally cleaned. Most new carpet warranties require a hot water extraction cleaning process at least twice per year.
- Indoor air quality may be compromised so consider getting your ductwork cleaned.
- Think about getting rid of clutter. Toys your kids no longer play with? Stuff placed throughout the home you’re getting tired of looking at? Box them up and donate them or look to have a garage sale.
- Outdoors, look at the condition of your welcome mats and replace them if necessary. Rake out last year’s dead leaves from your flower beds and look at replacing you mulch.
SERVPRO of Dearborn Heights North/East Garden City specializes in cleaning and can assist you with any and all of your spring cleaning needs. Call us at (313) 228-5134 so we can help you make it “Like it never even happened.”